MySQL 5.0.21 C API under cygwin

Magnus Svensson msvensson@mysql.com
Fri Jun 16 12:23:00 GMT 2006

Eric Lilja wrote:

>> I just wanted to share this if someone else is wants to do what I want
>> to: Develop C/C++ programs using Cygwin that talk to a native Windows
>> MySQL server.

Great!

Nicholas Thayer wrote:
>  The issue with the
> /tmp/mysql.sock is that MySQL uses domain sockets for *NIX machines and
> named pipes on Windows machines.  Specifying the IP address uses TCP/IP
> sockets, which work as expected.

It would be interesting to see if the cygwin libmysql could be fooled
into using named pipes when connecting to the native mysqld. I guess
that could give some speedup, at least a big difference can be seen on
*NIX  when using domain sockets instead of TCP/IP.

I'm just thinking loud here. :)
When compiling libmysql under cygwin it should be possible to also the
compile in the named pipe support.

Best regards
Magnus

--