Unable to delete directory in Cygwin

mwoehlke mwoehlke@tibco.com
Mon Jun 19 20:25:00 GMT 2006

Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
> mwoehlke wrote:
>> Eric Blake wrote:
>>> That said, cygwin does try to emulate linux, and if someone were to
>>> contribute a patch that would allow cygwin to emulate directory deletion
>>> if it knows that all open handles have also been scheduled for unlinking
>>> at process end, then http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PTC.
>>
>> Not a patch, but for the record, it looks like Interix solves this
>> problem (http://www.interopsystems.com/tools/tm.aspx?m=9403). Maybe
>> Cygwin could do something similar?
>>
>> (And in case that link dies; apparently Interix has a special 'temp'
>> directory where "unlinked" files are sent until their handles are all
>> closed.)
>
> If you take a look at the cygwin sources, you'll see that Cygwin does
> something similar already.  This does not solve the problem for those
> that want to unlink and immediately recreate the unlinked entry though...

I'm confused. As I read the post, if I create a file 'bar' in '/foo',
open the file, and then 'rm -rf /foo', I can't do that. If Cygwin
"magically redirects" 'bar' to some special place, wouldn't that
a: allow me to unlink '/foo'
b: allow me to then create a new (and different) '/foo/bar'?

I also do not see anywhere that the OP is even trying to do [b].

--
Matthew
...Ruthlessly beating Windows with a hammer until it looks like POSIX.