SYSTEM account in /etc/passwd

McGraw, Robert P. rmcgraw@purdue.edu
Wed Jun 28 21:35:00 GMT 2006

I am running WinXP SP2.

Not being a window type guy I am trying to understand what the "SYSTEM"
account is.

I see the line in "SYSTEM:*:18:544:544:....." in the /etc/passwd but I am not
sure what this account is or where it is created from. It is not in
my list of accounts under "computer management / local users and groups".

QUESTIONS:

1) What is the SYSTEM account.

2) Am I suppose to be able to log in to the account SYSTEM?

3) Do I need to be able to log in as SYSTEM?

4) Where does cygwin install get the information to create the /etc/passwd
entry?

Thanks

Robert

Robert P. McGraw, Jr.
Manager, Computer System                 EMAIL: rmcgraw@purdue.edu
Purdue University                         ROOM: MATH-807
Department of Mathematics                PHONE: (765) 494-6055
150 N. University Street                   FAX: (419) 821-0540
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2067