1.5.19-4 and gnu make 3.80-1 causes popup console windows from child make processes

Dave Korn dave.korn@artimi.com
Wed Mar 1 16:02:00 GMT 2006

On 01 March 2006 15:41, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 12:03:20PM -0000, Dave Korn wrote:
>> On 28 February 2006 19:54, Paul Hepworth wrote:
>>> I upgraded to 1.5.19-4 yesterday and now notice the following new,
>>> undesirable behavior: empty console windows for child make processes.
>>>
>>> I use the FTE editor and run make from it, the make output being
>>> displayed inside an FTE window.  Before upgrading to 1.5.19-4, no
>>> console windows popped up, even when make called child $(MAKE) (which
>>> in turn call child $(MAKE) and so forth).
>>>
>>> Now, I get a pop-up console window for make and each child make.  The
>>> output from all of these still goes to FTE, but the empty popup console
>>> windows take focus and are annoying.  This doesn't occur with other
>>> external programs launched by FTE, just make.
>>
>> Hmm, I wonder if this is what's been making some of my windows start
>> randomly popping to the front while I'm running a big complex build
>> from bash in a minimized DOS console involving multiple instances of
>> processes launched from bash and cmd.exe shells?
>
> If only there was a simple wossname (patent leather shoes pending) which
> illustrated the problem.
>
> Nah.  That trick never works.
>
> cgf

  Well, if I can /find/ a way to make it happen which doesn't involve building
a massive project using a hugely expensive proprietary vhdl compiler and
simulator, I'll let you know, but at the moment, any potential testcase should
be considered 'unreduced' and not exactly simple :)

    cheers,
      DaveK