[Newbie] Installer Question

Thu Mar 2 10:05:00 GMT 2006

On Mar  1 20:34, Michael Banks wrote:
> We have developed a product for the medical industry, which makes use of a few of the open-source cygwin tools (like, grep, find, etc.). The problem is that, believe it or not, many doctors' offices do not have an Internet connection, so installing cygwin via the downloadable setup program isn't a viable option
>
> I think ideally we would build a single installer that includes our closed-source product, the needed open-source cygwin tools, and the full sources of cygwin. How exactly do we include the proper cygwin files, so that we're in compliance with the licensing? If we do a sample cygwin install on a PC, does the cygwin folder contain everything we need (open-source tools + cygwin source), or is it more complicated than that?

If you have a Cygwin installation prepared, just call `cygcheck -c'.
This will give you a list of all packages you have installed.  Just grab
all the source tar archives of these packages and deliver them with your
binaries.

If you look on the mirrors which provide Cygwin packages, you'll see
that each package

  foo-3.4.5-2.tar.bz2

is accompanied by a package

  foo-3.4.5-2-src.tar.bz2

These are the source tar archives.  If you provide the binaries, you'll
have to collect all corresponding source packages and give them to your
customer, too.

You don't have to fetch them manually from a mirror, you can just use
the Cygwin setup tool, with which you have created your Cygwin
installation.  In the package selection dialog, there's a column "src?".
If you check the checkbuttons in this column, setup will download all
source packages on your machine into the /usr/src directory.

HTH,
Corinna

Red Hat