Cygwin and locale

Ulrich Herrmann uherr@gmx.de
Thu Mar 9 16:14:00 GMT 2006

Hello all,

I recently switched to my favourite shell the tcsh. I encountered the
problem that it didn't display non ascii characters correctly. After
diving a little bit deeper into it I figured that Cygwin supports only the
minimal "C" locale and not any other locales like for the german language.

Why is the locale support not in Cygwin? Are there big obstacles to
porting it to cygwin?

Currently this means that some programs like "tcsh" and "less" are not
working all the way correctly. Other programs which use gettext like bash
are working correctly.

Regards, Ulrich

--
Ulrich Herrmann