bash and csrss using 100% of the CPU

Kevin Van Workum kevin.vanworkum@gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 15:51:00 GMT 2006

On 3/15/06, Dave Korn <dave.korn@artimi.com> wrote:
> On 15 March 2006 14:54, Kevin Van Workum wrote:
>
> > On 3/13/06, Kevin Van Workum <kevin.vanworkum+cygwin@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I just installed the lastest version of cygwin on my W2K box and have
> >> noticed that after about 3-4 minutes, bash.exe and csrss.exe are using
> >> about 100% of the CPU. This happens if I simply start a cygwin shell
> >> and wait for some time. I've only done the default base installation
> >> and have not made any changes. One thing that maybe of importance is
> >> that I don't have administrator privledges on this machine. Attached
> >> is the output of cygcheck -s -r -v. I saw several other people with
> >> this problem in the archive, but not solution posted. Any ideas? I'd
> >> like to fix it because it significantly bogs down my machine.
> >
> > Some more information:
> >
> > If I boot in safe mode, I don't see this problem. Since SpySweeper
> > doesn't start in safe mode, maybe SpySweeper is the culprit.
>
>   There can't be a 'maybe' about it really, can there?  If spy sweeper makes
> the difference, spy sweeper IS the culprit, pretty much by definition.

Well, there are other things that don't get started in safe mode. So I
can't be sure that it's spy sweeper. And since I can't turn spy
sweeper off because I don't have admin privs, there's no way for me to
be sure, so 'maybe' it's the culprit.

> >I have no
> > idea how to fix this though.
>
>   I take it SpySweeper isn't OSS then?  ;)  Generally the way to fix a bug in
> a proprietary application is to report it to the manufacturer.  Or you could
> return the faulty product and ask for a refund if you don't feel like waiting
> for a fix.

I doubt the folks that make spy sweeper would call this a bug. It's
probably doing exactly what it's supposed to do.

>     cheers,
>       DaveK
> --
> Can't think of a witty .sigline today....
>

> --

Kevin Van Workum