Installation problem on windows 2000 server

jack lists@qnorth.net
Fri Mar 31 02:44:00 GMT 2006

Dave Korn wrote:
> On 30 March 2006 03:57, jack wrote:
>

>> Should I post this question on another cygwin list? Or does nobody have
>> experience with this kinda thing?
>

>   Get that non-cygwin perl out of your path and try using setup.exe to
> reinstall everything.  Make sure - using task manager if need be - that there
> is absolutely no trace of any cygwin-based programs or services running.
>
>   Antivirus and desktop firewall software can both interfere with the
> successful operation of cygwin, particularly if it's one of the
> supposedly-clever behaviour-blocking varieties, so watch out for that, and
> make sure that nothing has been inadvertently blocked; if so remove it before
> you try again.
>
>   Probably the next most likely possibility is that the machine itself is
> terminally b0rken.
>

>     cheers,
>       DaveK

Thanks for the response Dave.

I got rid of the non-cygwin perl, double checked for any possible cygwin
processes, and tried a complete re-install of cygwin. same thing :(

One thing I don't understand is I can download unix_tools.exe from this
website (which looks cygwin based), and run it, and everything works fine.

http://freshmeat.net/projects/thinstallunixtools/

I'm puzzled..