rsync quote char in Path bug

Davor Perkovac davor.perkovac@gmail.com
Tue May 2 13:13:00 GMT 2006

At 06:40 02.05.2006 -0600, Eric Blake wrote:

>According to Davor Perkovac on 5/2/2006 5:52 AM:
> > Hi.
> >
> > I found out that having quote characters in DOS Path variable around
> > directories which are listed before cygwin/bin path can confuse rsync so
> > that it's unable to find ssh executable.
>
>Try invoking rsync from inside a cygwin shell, such as bash, rather than
>from the Windows command line, to see if that helps.  Also, what does
>
>c:\> bash -c "echo $PATH"

>output, both when the Windows Path had quotes and when it does not?  If
>cygwin is not properly converting the Windows Path into a valid PATH that
>other cygwin programs can understand, that might explain why rxvt is
>unable to find ssh.

Output of
c:\> bash -c "echo $PATH"

Path without quotes:
C:\davor>bash -c "echo $PATH"
/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/system32:/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS:/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/System32/Wbem:/usr/bin:/usr/bin:/cygdrive/c/Program
Files/Executive Software/Diskeeper/:/cygdrive/c/Program
Files/Microsoft SQL Server/80/Tools/Binn/:/cygdrive/c/Program
Files/UltraEdit:/cygdrive/c/Program Files/ATI
Technologies/ATI.ACE/:/cygdrive/c/davor/bin:/cygdrive/c/Program
Files/SecureCRT 3.0

Path with quotes:
C:\davor>bash -c "echo $PATH"
"C:/WINDOWS/system32":/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS:/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/System32/Wbem:/usr/bin:/usr/bin:/cygdrive/c/Program
Files/Executive Software/Diskeeper/:/cygdrive/c/Program
Files/Microsoft SQL Server/80/Tools/Binn/:/cygdrive/c/Program
Files/UltraEdit:/cygdrive/c/Program Files/ATI
Technologies/ATI.ACE/:/cygdrive/c/davor/bin:/cygdrive/c/Program
Files/SecureCRT 3.0

...looks like when path is with quotes it is not converted into
/cygdrive/c/* path.

When Path has quotes, rsync does work when invoked from bash, it only
fails to work when invoked from command prompt.

Davor.