Call for testing Cygwin snapshot

Lloeki lloeki@gmail.com
Wed May 10 06:23:00 GMT 2006

> BTW: What's the easiest way to switch cygwin versions without having to
> reboot? I quite commonly come across changing snapshot dll's and having
> bash throw errors (probably relocation related or something of the sort)
> and immediately return. After reboot it's fine. But what's a way to
> quickly switch versions without reboot required? Or am I doing something
> wrong? (just following the FAQ, shutting down all cyg execs and services,
> then shuffling files around)

As long as the cygwin dll is not used, there's no reason... so it
looks like it's in use somewhere. but I'd swear windows had a caching
mechanism for dlls where they're not unloaded from memory at once
after being unused. there's even a reg key to tweak that flush delay
but it seems I can't put the finger on it anymore. Maybe that's it,
the cache mechanism doesn't check against changed file on the disk and
you should wait a bit before relaunching a cygwin process? That seems
somehow inconsistent though.

Lloeki