cvs pserver issue with new cygwin packages

Thu May 11 04:17:00 GMT 2006

Eric Blake wrote:
>>> $ cvs co test
>>> cannot mkdir /tmp/cvs-serv3172/.
>>> No such file or directory
>> This was a bug in Cygwin 1.5.19, which returned the wrong error code for
>> creating this directory, and CVS didn't know to ignore it.  Try a
>> snapshot.
>
> It wasn't the 'wrong' errno, so much as a different errno than Linux
> used in the same situation, and a bug that still exists in CVS for
> blindly assuming that only the Linux errno will be used even on
> non-Linux platforms.  POSIX allows any number of errno
> returns when more than one simultaneous error condition exists.

Well now.  That's news to me.  I thought it WAS a pure cygwin bug, not a
misinterpretation of POSIX by the cvs guys.  After folks discovered the
errno issue and it was "fixed" in the cygwin snapshots, I said "I don't
want to clutter up the cvs sourcecode with a workaround for a bug that's
already fixed.  We'll just wait for cygwin-1.5.20"

Given Eric's explanation, that was the wrong decision.  Given the
controversy over cvs-1.11.21, I'll release an update of cvs-1.11.17 with
a workaround for this...difference of opinion? as soon as I can.  Which
would be sooner if someone sent me a P to TC.

--
Chuck