automake: 1.4, 1.5, and wrapper

Sun May 14 00:26:00 GMT 2006

Charles Wilson wrote:
> Yaakov S (Cygwin Ports) wrote:
>
>> A few requests regarding automake:
>>
>> 1) Could you please include the attached patch in automake1.4?  This
>> makes automake-1.4 compatible with the other versions in accepting
>> - --force-missing.  Otherwise, when using autoreconf-2.5x and
>> automake-1.4
>> together (yes, it does happen), autoreconf -f -i -v fails.
>
> Sure, no problem.

Uploaded.  announcement forthcoming.

>> 2) Could you please package automake1.5 as well?  freeglut uses it.
>
> Errr...okay.  I had originally planned to have the whole rainbow
> (1.4-1.9) but for some reason -- which I cannot remember right now -- I
> ended up not doing 1.5.  I wonder why...
>
> Anyway, I can do this.

Uploaded.  announcement forthcoming.

However, I now know why I didn't provide it originally: am-1.5 does not
support side-by-side installs out of the box.  I had to back port a
bunch of stuff from 1.6, including 'dirlist' and AM_AUTOMAKE_VERSION
support.  However, it wasn't that bad, and all 324 self tests now pass.

--
Chuck