The $HOME variable; rxvt and .inputrc

Andrew DeFaria Andrew@DeFaria.com
Tue May 16 02:49:00 GMT 2006

George wrote:
>> Describe unfriendly.
> Cough cgf cough. I keed. I keed. How about I describe friendly instead?
>
> Friendly is a girl with a nice smile holding my hand and pressing my
> keys for me while serving me rum drinks with little umbrellas in them.
>
> No?
If you figure out how to configure that well then just let me know! :-)
> Ok, how about friendly is not having taking my hands off the
> keyboard's home row to reach for PageUp/Down or, worse, the arrow keys?
Hmmm.... Seems to me like you don't want to configure the PageUp/Down
keys at all. You probably want something like Shift/Ctrl/Alt/whatever
"v" or something like that to page up or down. Well sorry but with that
you are on your own...
>> Shift-PageUp and Shift-PageDown effectively page up or down through
>> the output buffer. That seems pretty friendly to me...
> A key modifier would be in order given that we're talking about a
> textual interface. Hence, I think CTL+F for forward, and CTL+B for
> back would be more appropriate, if not consistent for a vi user.
As an Xemacs users I find that highly offensive! ;-) Actually C-f and
C-b are forward/backward character.

I'm sure there's some way to configure some keystroke to do what you
want. Look at the rxvt man page perhaps. I haven't taken the time to try
to figure that out. Honestly there are just too many keystroke
combinations to remember and to step over if you ask me. And, usually,
when I feel the need to page backward I'll pipe the output into less or
just use the mouse or Shift-PageUp/Down keys. It's usually at this time
that I'm in "reading mode" as opposed to "typing mode" anyways. YMMV.
> Now if it was my birthday and I could get what anything I wanted, I'd
> go for the girl with the rum drinks, and opt for CTL+J and CTL+K.
Screw the C-j and C-k - just give me the girl! ;-)
--
Just because I have a short attention span doesn't mean I ... um ... er