The $HOME variable; rxvt and .inputrc

Andrew DeFaria Andrew@DeFaria.com
Tue May 16 19:25:00 GMT 2006

Lloeki wrote:
>> > Friendly is a girl with a nice smile holding my hand and pressing my
>> > keys for me while serving me rum drinks with little umbrellas in them.
>> >
> Managed to work this out. Barely.

Barely!?! Got pics? ;-)

>> If you figure out how to configure that well then just let me know! :-)
> YMMV too much for a howto. Sorry, you're on your own. Pointers are
> switching the task to realtime non preemptable (and others to low and
> preemptable), moving the window around regularly (especially revealing
> romantic wallpapers, photos of beaches or mountain resorts), and never
> ever try emulation (works well at start, but sandboxing leaks in the
> end, stopping the whole thing to a grinding halt). Signals
> handling/sending is important too. Never SIGHUP, even if she does.
> Handle SIGILL gracefully. Always respond to SIGINT. If she send
> SIGALRM too much, you might be SIGTSTPped but if handled well, you'll
> receive a SIGCONT. You might also be accused of sending rogue SIGSEGV
> signals. SIGKILL can occur to you, but you're much likely to receive a
> SIGTERM ("let's be friends"). If all goes well you might even SIGPIPE
> and eventually she could fork(), and then, pray not to have to handle
> SIGCHLD.
I tried that once (actually twice). Now they have off the shelf software
to handle all of this. Read all about it.
http://defaria.com/Jokes/TheEvolutionOfSocialSoftware.php

Personally I opted for the Divorce 2.0 solution. Well worth the money...
>> Screw the C-j and C-k - just give me the girl! ;-)
> It doesn't work too much in the end. Noise on the line, packets get
> lost (hey, it's CSMA/CD), so you keys end up not being typed that
> often. Plus you end up receiving lots of priority interrupts and you
> know, it's preemptive multitasking, except for one task. And on task
> completion, context backswitching doesn't work too well and you end up
> messing your work.
>
> Nice cocktails though.
>
> (Now I'll hide that window before my beloved catches me spitting
> stupid misogynic jokes like this.)
Fortunately for me I don't have to worry about such things anymore. I'm
free to be who I naturally am...
--
Love is like war: easy to begin but very hard to stop. - H. L. Mencken