No postnews or other Usenet news utilities?

Reid Thompson reid.thompson@ateb.com
Thu May 25 17:30:00 GMT 2006

Dave Korn wrote:
> On 24 May 2006 21:48, Bruce Wehr wrote:
>

>>>   Spamming is a sin; it is selfishness and arrogance to the
>>> point of solipsism.  Stop it today.
>>>
>> HEY!  One point we can agree on!  Cool!  Maybe you're not such a bad guy
>> after all!
>>

>>> READ the faq:
>>> http://www.faqs.org/faqs/misc-forsale-faq/posting-ads/
>>>
>> OMG, thank you!  A useful, helpful pointer!  THAT'S the kind of stuff I was
>> looking for in a reply!  I was starting to think that your post had no
>> substance at all; that it was full of useless flames and nothing else.
>>
>> Honestly, that document didn't exist when I was selling Pokemon cards
>> several years ago.  (If it was, I wasn't aware of it, and nobody pointed it
>> out to me.)  I will read that document, in it's entirety, and heed its
>> advice.  Thank you again for at least that one piece of useful information.
>>
>> Now that THAT'S settled, does anyone else have any other USEFUL information
>> for me?
>>

>   Well, since you're not going to spam with it, http://cygwin.com/packages/
> lists pine and tin.  I haven't tried either of them myself but lots of people
> swear by them so you might like to have a go.
>

>     cheers,
>       DaveK

postnews appears to be a python script -- it *should* work as long as
you've used setup.exe to install python.

WS-XP-4960[13:28:57]: /usr/local/bin>
$ postnews -h
postnews 0.5.3 - (C) 2001 by Michael Waschbuesch

Usage: postnews [OPTIONS] SERVER
Post a usenet article (including headers) from stdin onto SERVER.
Article must at least contain the headers 'From:', 'Newsgroups:' and
'Subject:',
a newline and a body.

         -v, --verbose       be verbose
         -f, --file=FILE     read file instead of stdin
         -p, --port=PORT     port number
             --user=NAME     user name
             --pass=PASSWD   password
         -r, --readermode    send MODE READER before authentication