bash 3.x path completion problems

mwoehlke mwoehlke@tibco.com
Tue May 30 23:01:00 GMT 2006

burning shadow wrote:
>>   Like I said, it's unlikely that this is the thing that makes the
>> difference, but you could
>> always have a quick try with the latest snapshot just in case:
>> http://cygwin.com/snapshots.  It might also be trying the different
>> cygwin terminals, xterm
>> and rxvt as well as plain old dos console.
>
> Oh, by the way. I'm working via SSH using PuTTY client. Maybe this is
> the case. I'll try snapshots later, thanks.

For the record, yes it definitely happens with tab-completion.

I've seen a couple of bugs related to prompts with non-printing
characters. On a Windows console, my two-line prompt that should end
with a bold white '$' loses the bold attribute... but if I do a tab
completion that echoes back possibilities, then it is bold unless I try
to go back past the beginning of the line, at which point it becomes
non-bold.

Specifically, the following prompt demonstrates the problem, if anyone
wants to experiment:
export PS1='\[\e[1;36m\]\w\n\[\e[37m\]\$ \[\e[0m\]'
(And yes, it seems to be a bug with the 'set bold' being on the previous
line, but it works on all other platforms, for example, if I ssh to a
Linux box from the exact same Cygwin window and use the exact same
format of prompt, slightly different because I have e.g. \t, \h, etc in it.)

On Konsole (from Linux via ssh, with TERM=linux), I see the exact
cursor so you can see where the *real* end of the line is, but does not
erase the junk.

Dave, are you saying you can reproduce this in 'stable-latest' but not
in snapshots? If so, that's good news.

--
Matthew
Ncurses. Blessing console programs since 1993.