Newbie questions: missing packages / script writing

Wed Nov 1 23:33:00 GMT 2006

Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] wrote:
> on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 4:56 PM, cygwin@snowstone.org.uk wrote:
>>> If you had read the list of available lists at
>>> http://cygwin.com/lists.html, you would have found the correct list.
>> I did read that page (amongst my other research), but I guess I'm
>> missing something obvious - what list is aimed at cygwin "newbies"?
>>
>> Adam
>>
>> --
>> Adam Richardson
>> Carpe Diem
>
> This brings up something that I've thought about for a while.  Many
> newbie questions are really not about cygwin, but are really about using
> a package (in this thread, how does one script in bash).  Might it be
> appropriate and useful to have a list for non-cygwin-specific questions
> about using packages provided by setup?  (Or two lists, for X and
> non-X.)  I know that I feel a part of the cygwin community and might ask
> questions on a list like that but not on a list with no cygwin
> connection.  (Anyway, first I'd have to find the appropriate list.)

To me, newbie questions about particular non-Cygwin specific packages/tools
are more appropriately addressed to the source of those packages/tools.
Actually, I would say that questions of this type should first be researched
for the specific package/tool and then if no joy is found, ask the source
for help first unless the issue is Cygwin-specific.

Holliston, MA 01746