Simple rm question, removing files that end with a tilde even if they start with a dot

Eric Lilja mindcooler@gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 20:27:00 GMT 2006

Why doesn't this work? I want to remove .bashrc~ (ls has been aliased to
include -AF):
hivemind@mindcooler ~
$ ls
.bash_history   .bashrc*   .emacs*    .emacs.elc*  .ssh/
.bash_profile*  .bashrc~*  .emacs.d/  .inputrc*    coding/

hivemind@mindcooler ~
$ rm *~
rm: cannot remove `*~': No such file or directory

Obviously I can remove it by naming the file explicitly but I want to
know why the lines I pasted above doesn't work so I learn something. :-)
rm has not been aliased

/ Eric Lilja