bash CR and backquotes trouble

Nicolas Roche roche@adacore.com
Tue Nov 7 13:22:00 GMT 2006

Larry Hall (Cygwin) a écrit :
> On 11/02/2006, Nicolas Roche wrote:
>> Will try Dan solution with the new version of bash. As I said in my
>> previous mail, if you are interesting in the results I will send them.
>
> Why not.

Ok, here are the results of my experiences. I have set my environment so
that igncr is the default in order to avoid the issue with backquotes
and win32/mingw commands

What I did is the following:
- put shopt -s igncr in my .bashrc file
- source .bashrc in  .bash_profile

This solve the cases for which bash is used interactively either as a
login shell or not.

For non interactive sessions, I use BASH_ENV variable along with
SHELL=/bin/bash so that gnu make works correctly.

The only remaining issue is when bash is invoked as /bin/sh and that the
shell is non interactive. In this case, the bash documentation says that no
startup file is read ..... So I don't know how to set igncr by
default.... The issue occurs for example with mklibgcc when building GCC.

mklibgcc is using /bin/sh and generates a makefile called libgcc.mk

The trouble here is that CR characters are inserted in the resulting
libgcc.mk in the middle of some lines, so the CR characters won't be
ignored when make -f libgcc.mk is invoked....

Is there any way to set the default behavior of sh even in non
interactive mode ?

Thanks in advance
Nicolas