Midnight Commander problem

Igor Peshansky pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Tue Nov 7 15:35:00 GMT 2006

Ugh, top-posting...  Reformatted.

On Tue, 7 Nov 2006, Ruslan Fedyarov wrote:

> Igor Peshansky wrote::
>
> > On Mon, 6 Nov 2006, Ruslan Fedyarov wrote:
> >

> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Thank all you Cygwin contributors for MC under Win32, at last I can
> > > use the same rules in both Windows and Linux. There's a little
> > > problem with running programs from CD:
> > >
> > > If I'm right MC uses /tmp directory for small sh scripts doing run
> > > job, but when you change to /cygdrive/d or whatever other than C:,
> > > you can't run any .exe program placed there (bash tells there's no
> > > '/tmp' directory).
> > >
> > > The only way to run a program from CD under MC is to change back to
> > > /cygdirve/c and run the necessary program with full path, e.g.
> > > '/cygdrive/d/setup.exe'. I've tried to change system MC_TMPDIR and
> > > TMPDIR variables, but nothing happened, MC_TMPDIR still points to
> > > /tmp under MC.
> > >
> > > I guess Cygwin's MC should use /cygdrive/c/tmp or $TMP/$TEMP instead
> > > of /tmp for running programs. Please correct it. I'd appreciate also
> > > mouse support in MC someday :). But probably it's ncurses
> > > maintainers matter.
> > >
> > > I also propose to use 'Open=/cygdrive/c/windows/system32/cmd.exe /c
> > > %f' in the last 'default/*' section of extension bindings, otherwise
> > > one can't run '.msi' and other unknown files from MC.
> > >

> > Ruslan,
> >
> > First off, there was no need to Cc: the maintainer (Pavel), as I'm
> > sure he reads this list.
> >
> > I don't know exactly what MC does to get that error, but /tmp should
> > work regardless of what directory you're currently in.  We'll need
> > more information about your system to be able to provide an accurate
> > diagnosis. Please review and follow the Cygwin problem reporting
> > guidelines at <http://cygwin.com/problems.html>, especially the part
> > about attaching (as an uncompressed text *attachment*) the output of
> > "cygcheck -svr".
> > 	Igor
>
> Sending the cygcheck output. May cue to the problem is that I haven't
> used setup.exe for installation, I got used to just unpacking the
> necessary package under Linux.

Indeed, that is the crux of your problem.  You have a broken (incomplete)
installation of Cygwin.  It is usually a good idea to let Cygwin setup do
the job it was designed to do, unless you *really* know what you're doing.

One of the problems with your installation (and the reason for your /tmp
errors) is the fact that you have no mounts.

Run setup, install the necessary packages, let it create the right mounts.
Then see if you get the same problem.

FYI, another problem shown by your cygcheck output is that you have a
cygwin1.dll in c:\windows\system32.  That's a no-no.  Delete that one (and
any other Cygwin DLLs in c:\windows\system32), and let Cygwin stay in its
installation root.

HTH,
	Igor
--