Please test the latest developer's snapshot

Michael Schaap cygwin@mscha.org
Tue Nov 7 16:50:00 GMT 2006

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The latest developer snapshot from http://cygwin.com/snapshots/ contains
> a couple of patches which are supposed to get Cygwin running better on
> the upcoming Windows Vista.
>
> The important change here is a slightly different memory allocation
> scheme.  I'd like to hear if this version still runs fine on all OSes,
> not only on Vista so I'd appreciate some feedback in terms of memory
> allocation problems.  Please look for messages as "fixup_mmap_after_fork
> failed", "couldn't allocate heap", stuff like that.
>
> The new memory allocation scheme could result in the necessity to rebase
> again.  The usual base address of 0x70000000 for rebase *might* result
> in problems with applications using mmap and runtime loaded DLLs.  So,
> if you get such a problem, please call rebase(all) with a base addresses
> of, say, 0x65000000 and try again.

I've been running with this snapshot on my brand new Vista RC2 dual-boot
for a few days, and FWIW, I haven't had any problems with it.  (With
1.5.21, I got the above errors all the time.)
I'm not doing anything special with it, though - I'm just running a zsh
shell in rxvt-unicode, and doing the usual shell stuff.  Oh, and I'm
editing with gvim.
(I'm not using the Cygwin/X server, though, but running Cygwin X clients
on an Xming server.)

After reinstalling I rebase-all'ed using the default parameters, no
problems.

Thanks for making my Vista install bearable!  :-)

  - Michael