3PP source code question (IANAL)

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad@users.sourceforge.net
Tue Nov 7 16:58:00 GMT 2006

DePriest, Jason R. wrote:
> Are 3PPs that bundle an old version of cygwin1.dll required in any way
> to provide the source code of their app so that I can recompile it
> with a modern version of cygwin1.dll?

IANALE,TYMSIEIAATS (http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#YANALATEYHSMBSI for a
hint on decoding that):

AFAIK there is also a "commercial" Cygwin license available, which would
allow a company to release Cygwin-linked software without Cygwin causing
it to become GPL'd. Of course, if said software uses any *other* GPL'd
libraries, they would need to have obtained licenses for those as well,
or would be GPL'd due to those.

Anyone know if there is a list of companies that have Cygwin licenses?
(I'd love to know if Perforce has one; I would LOVE to force them hand
over their source so we could port it to NSK...)

--
Matthew
"Try to bring it back in one piece this time." -- Q (MI6)