Mount command warning with latest cygwin1.dll snapshot

Karl M karlm30@hotmail.com
Tue Nov 7 23:26:00 GMT 2006

Hi All...

>From: Matthew Woehlke
>Subject: Re: Mount command warning with latest cygwin1.dll snapshot
>Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2006 13:42:14 -0600
>
>Karl M wrote:
>>I just tried out the latest snapshot and my bat file to clean up my mounts
>>now gives warning messages. The current released version of cygwin1.dll
>>does not produce the warnings.
>>
>>Z:\>C:\Cygwin\bin\mount -f -s -b C:/Cygwin /
>>cygwin warning:
>>  MS-DOS style path detected: Z:\
>>  Preferred POSIX equivalent is: /z
>>  CYGWIN environment variable option "nodosfilewarning" turns off this
>>warning.
>>  Consult the user's guide for more details about POSIX paths:
>>    http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#using-pathnames
>
>This looks like something is going wrong when running Cygwin programs
>('mount', at least) from a DOS prompt. Does this produce any output?
>
>Z:\> C:\Cygwin\bin\env | C:\Cygwin\bin\grep Z:

Yes. It shows my HOMEDRIVE environment variable.

>What happens if you run the file from a different directory? Does the
>warning always reflect the current directory?

Try a smaller and simple test. Type "mount -m" and look at the output.

$ mount -m
mount -f -s -b "C:/Cygwin/bin" "/usr/bin"
mount -f -s -b "C:/Cygwin/lib" "/usr/lib"
mount -f -s -b "C:/Cygwin" "/"
mount -s -t --change-cygdrive-prefix "/"

The above is my output from "mount -m".  Now type the mount command for the
Cygwin root, in my case

mount -f -s -b "C:/Cygwin" "/"

and see what you get. I get

$ mount -f -s -b "C:/Cygwin" "/"
cygwin warning:
  MS-DOS style path detected: C:\Cygwin
  Preferred POSIX equivalent is: /
  CYGWIN environment variable option "nodosfilewarning" turns off this
warning.
  Consult the user's guide for more details about POSIX paths:
    http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#using-pathnames

Reverting to the released cygwin1.dll eliminates the warning.

Thanks,

...Karl