1.5.21-1: sshd: "child_copy: linked dll data write copy failed" after computer reboot (Windows 2000 SP4)

Wed Nov 8 02:44:00 GMT 2006

Dan Harkless wrote:

<snip>

> However, I have had issues in the past few months where suddenly commands in
> my bash window would start failing with the "probably due to using
> incompatible versions of the cygwin DLL" error (without crash popups).  When
> that first occurred, I did a search and found no other copies of
> cygwin1.dll.  Also, in those cases, rebooting the machine would fix the
> problem, which would seem to indicate it was not due to there being multiple
> 'cygwin1.dll's in the PATH.  Is it possible a statically linked application
> using Cygwin code could cause this error, if it were running at the time?

No.  Another application using a different cygwin1.dll would have to be
running.  As long as it is, the old cygwin1.dll is loaded in memory and
will cause conflicts.  Kill'em.

<snip>

> Today when I reinstalled Cygwin again, setup.exe told me that
> C:\WINNT\system32\cygwin1.dll was back, even though I had confirmed deletion
> yesterday.  Does Cygwin itself ever install the DLL there?  If not, I guess
> there's some application on my system that does, and that repaired itself by
> putting it back after I deleted it yesterday.  I have a few video codecs,
> converters, and players (some of which were installed last night) that I
> believe use code that was originally written for Linux, so it's possible
> it's from one of them.

Yes, there are some <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#3PP> in this genre.

<snip>

> I did notice that there is a C:\WINNT\system32\cygz.dll file, dated June 21,
> 2005 (I tried various 'strings' commandlines on it but didn't get anything
> that looked like a version number).  Is it feasible it could be causing sshd
> to misbehave after reboot until it's restarted?  Perhaps I should try making
> a safety copy of it, reboot, and see if sshd allows connections without
> being restarted.

Delete all cyg*.dlls you have in the system32 directory.  Whatever is there
is put there by a <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#3PP>.  You don't need'em.  You
don't want'em.  They'll just cause you grief (as you've noted already).

Holliston, MA 01746