Bash process remains after I close rxvt in certain ways

Eric Lilja mindcooler@gmail.com
Sun Nov 12 19:53:00 GMT 2006

Hello, I never open the default cygwin "command window" anymore. Instead
I use rxvt (a program I was introduced to after using cygwin for more
than a year and I immediately fell in love with it). In my quicklaunch
bar I have the following rxvt shortcut:
C:\cygwin\bin\rxvt.exe -tn rxvt-cygwin-native -sr -sl 4000 -fn "Lucida
Console-13"  --background black --foreground white -geometry 145x40+10+0
-e bash --login -I

I recently upgraded to a dual core machine which made me use the windows
task manager alot. That's when I noticed that if I close the rxvt window
by pressing 'x' in the top right corner (or doing alt-f4, I never do
this, just tried it now to see what happened) the rxvt process is
terminated and the window disappears but the "underlying" bash process
is still running (without a visible window), consuming ~3.5 MB of memory
and 0 cpu time according to the task manager. If I exit rxvt by typing
exit, the bash process is terminated too. Can I do something so the bash
process is always terminated properly no matter how I close the rxvt
window? Is there misconfiguration on my end or should I simply get in
the habit of always using exit to close rxvt?

cygcheck.out attached.

/ E