make-3.81 update?

Rob Walker rwalker@qualcomm.com
Fri Nov 17 04:14:00 GMT 2006

Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
> Rob Walker wrote:
>> Bill Hoffman wrote:

>>> When make 3.82 comes out.
>> Thanks.  Is this imminent or scheduled?  Is there anything I can do
>> to help in the meantime?
>

> <http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2006-11/msg00433.html>
Yes, I got this shortly after sending my query.  Sorry for the spam.

>> I spent some time browsing the Cygwin site looking for information
>> about package maintainers.  Most of what I found was how to become a
>> package maintainer for an as-yet-unsupported package.  What I was
>> really looking for was a list of the current maintainers, and
>> possibly information about how to help get an already-owned package
>> updated.
>

> Contacting package owners is done through this list.  The Cygwin package
> owner for 'make' has already replied to this thread.
There were actually 2 people who felt qualified to answer my question.
Presumably only one is the package owner.  Were there a list of package
owners, I could have ignored the errant response.

>> Maintenance of bash and make seem to follow very different
>> philosophies for updates (the former seems much more active), am I
>> mistaken?
>

> They are two different people.
Yes, I assumed this, but it doesn't answer my question.  I guess I
didn't really take the time to craft something the package owner could
actually respond to, though.  My query was a rather ham-handed attempt
to get the make package owner to justify not having picked up an
upstream patch that was (somewhat) specifically targeted for Cygwin.

Now that I've got the package owner's response, I think I'm happy ;)

Thanks,
Rob