Wrong root directory

Timothy Madden terminatorul@gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 19:34:00 GMT 2006

Dave Korn wrote:
> On 16 November 2006 13:05, Timothy Madden wrote:
>
>> Hello
>>
>> Sorry if asking a known question.
>>
>> I have Cygwin NT-5.1 and many applications ported for Windows with
>> Cygwin installed separately. I recently configured OpenSSH 3.8.1 as a
>> service to start automaticaly with Windows, and since then the file
>> -system root directory of my Cygwin installation is C:\Program
>> Files\OpenSSH instead of C:\local\cygwin as before.
>
>   Argh!  You've installed some 3PP bundle of ssh and it's overwritten your
> mountpoints!  That is /seriously/ unfriendly.  Where did you get this download
> from?
>
>> How can I fix the mapping for the root folder ?
>
>   Use the mount command.  At a minimum, you'll need to have /, /usr/bin, and
> /usr/lib mountpoints all pointing into the correct places in your old dir
> structure.  If you had attached your cygcheck output to the mail as it
> describes on the problem-reporting page, we could have given you a full list
> of what mountpoints you'd need to repair.
>
>> Where is the documentation for this ?
>
>   In the cygwin user guide, and also the mount man/info pages.
>
>     cheers,
>       DaveK

Yeah, quite a bad image for Cygwin ...

If you search Google for OpenSSH windows (since openssh.org has no
windows port on site) you can find these links:

http://sshwindows.sourceforge.net/
http://www.networksimplicity.com/openssh/

Maybe someone can talk to sites owners and kindly ask them to inform
their visitors that cwRsyncServer also has a newer version of OpenSSH
packaged for Windows (that unfortunately does not show up in Google).

I did not thought that mount can change even the file-system root.
Thank you for your information. What does 3PP mean ?

As for the output from cygcheck, I am not on my work computer now.
But if I restore the mount point for /, then would /usr/bin and /usr/lib
not already get in place too ?

Timothy Madden
Romania