1.5.21-1: sshd occasionally fails to start

Tom Mount tmountjr@gmail.com
Sat Nov 18 02:30:00 GMT 2006

On 11/17/06, Igor Peshansky <pechtcha@> wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Nov 2006, Tom Mount wrote:
>
> > On 11/17/06, Igor Peshansky <> wrote:
> > > Ugh, top-posting...  Reformatted.

> > > <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>.  Thanks.

> > > Do you have any extra information in the Event Log or in
> > > /var/log/sshd.log?
> > >         Igor
> > > --
> > >                                 http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
> > >       |\      _,,,---,,_            pechtcha@ | igor@
>
> Thanks, Tom, I appreciate your effort in removing the email addresses in
> my .signature, but just to clarify, the PCYMTNQREAIYR acronym only refers
> to the lead-in string (i.e., Joe <joe@example.com> wrote:), since that is
> a way of accidentally making someone's email address ripe for spammers to
> pick up.  By putting the addresses in my signature, I have made a
> conscious choice to make them available, so there is no need to sanitize
> them.  FWIW, feel free to remove the signature altogether from the quoted
> text (most mailers do that automatically).
>
> > sshd.log is empty. 0 bytes. In the even log I have errors like "The
> > CYGWIN sshd service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 15
> > time(s)." These errors follow information entries like "The CYGWIN
> > sshd service was successfully sent a start control." Earlier in the
> > morning before I started messing with this, I got the following
> > information entry: "The system detected that network adapter
> > \DEVICE\TCPIP_{84D85DA7-3BDE-4091-9024-B1AA02CDDEB5} was connected to
> > the network, and has initiated normal operation over the network
> > adapter." I point that out because the source was "Tcpip."
>
> Looks like you're examining the wrong log.  Take a look at the Application
> log, rather than the System log.  There should be messages from "sshd" or
> "Cygwin sshd".
>
> > I'm wondering why sshd.log would be empty and if that means anything
> > for this problem. The SYSTEM user is the owner of the file, and it's
> > got full control minus execute permissions. The service is being run
> > by the local system account, so it should be able to interact with
> > that log file, right?
>
> It should be, but sshd uses the syslog mechanism to log events, and syslog
> messages by default go to the Windows Event Log.  One way to rectify that
> would be to install syslogd as a service, and configure it to send
> messages from sshd to /var/log/sshd.log.
>         Igor
> --
>                                 http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
>       |\      _,,,---,,_            pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu | igor@watson.ibm.com
> ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_            Igor Peshansky, Ph.D. (name changed!)
>      |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'           old name: Igor Pechtchanski
>     '---''(_/--'  `-'\_) fL     a.k.a JaguaR-R-R-r-r-r-.-.-.  Meow!
>
> "Las! je suis sot... -Mais non, tu ne l'es pas, puisque tu t'en rends compte."
> "But no -- you are no fool; you call yourself a fool, there's proof enough in
> that!" -- Rostand, "Cyrano de Bergerac"

The systems are standard setup on our campus - novell client and all
its baggage, zenworks agent and all *its* baggage, and symantec
corporate AV 10.x - whatever's the most current. Beyond that we don't
have any security apps running.

I checked - the app log is a little borked, reporting virus updates
that happened January 3, 2080. However, there are no entries at all
for (cygwin) sshd in the application log, only in the system log.