[ANNOUNCEMENT] NEW: libXpm-noX-3.5.6-1, libXpm-noX-devel-3.5.6-1, libXpm-noX_4-3.5.6-1

Sun Nov 19 09:50:00 GMT 2006

The libXpm-noX packages provide a version of the Xpm image format
library compiled to NOT require the use of an X server.  These packages
are the successors to the old xpm-nox package (which now contains only
the old DLL, for compatibility purposes).

See the related announcement
Updated: xpm-nox-4.2.0-6

Changes (from xpm-nox-4.2.0-5)
--------------------
o rename the entire project from 'xpm-nox' to 'libXpm-noX'
o switch to cygport build framework
   + Note: 'cygport libXpm-noX-3.5.6 get' requires git, which is
     not part of the official cygwin distribution.  However, a regular
     build (prep, build, install, pkg) will work fine without git.
o split into three packages: DLL, devel, apps & docs
o update to latest version of the library from the
   modular x.org repository

What is "libXpm-noX-3.5.6"? I thought the most recent xpm was 3.4k.
Or, your last several releases of xpm-nox have had version numbers like
4.2.0 or 4.3.0.  Where'd you get 3.5.6?

   In the 'modularization' work undertaken by the x.org team,
   all X libraries (including xpm) were modified so that they
   would build using traditional GNU build tools: autoconf,
   automake, libtool.  This effort was finalized with the release
   of X11R7.0 in December 2005.  However, each individual library
   has its own (new) version number -- because the idea is that
   modular libraries may be released on a rolling schedule, and
   not all-at-once like the monolithic (pre-7.0) X11.

   So, the most recent version of libXpm from the x.org modular
   tree is 3.5.6.  Clear?

This is also the reason I renamed the entire package set from "xpm-nox"
to "libXpm-noX" -- I figured it would inevitably lead to problems if I
tried to force setup.exe to always replace 4.whatever with the "newer"
3.whatever.

--
Charles Wilson
libXpm-noX volunteer maintainer for cygwin

If you want to unsubscribe from the cygwin-announce mailing list, look
at the "List-Unsubscribe: " tag in the email header of this message.
Send email to the address specified there.  It will be in the format:

If you need more information on unsubscribing, start reading here:

Please read *all* of the information on unsubscribing that is available
starting at the above URL.