DLL problems on fresh install

Scott Hepler jscotth@vermontel.net
Wed Nov 22 14:42:00 GMT 2006

On Wed, Nov 22, 2006 at 01:15:44PM -0000, Dave Korn wrote:
> On 22 November 2006 13:07, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>
> > On Nov 22 03:38, Scott Hepler wrote:
> >> Hi folks:
> >>

> > Since you said you searched the machine for another cygwin1.dll, but the
> > above message is quite clear, I'm wondering if you have some 3PP software
> > on your machine which installed a cygwin1.dll under another name
> > together with their 3PP stuff (obfuscating rulez).  Did you really search
> > everywhere?  Even in C:\Windows?
>
>   Or in other words....
>
> > Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
>
> ... get busy with the cygcheck attachment, dude!

Heh, cygcheck didn't work either, of course.

Now, I'm going to step up and show the egg on my face:  after Corrinna
asked me if I'd looked *everywhere*, I searched again.  This time, I found
'cygwin1.dll' way down inside C:\RECYCLER -- and it was in-use.  After I
got that out of the way, all is fine.  Why I didn't find that in the 5
searches I did last night, I'll _never_understand_.  :(

Sorry for the trouble, and thanks for the fast help!

-s.

--
Scott Hepler
System Administration and Security