1.5.22: Error from anything using the cygwin dll

Tue Nov 28 19:49:00 GMT 2006

Mikkel Erup wrote:
> --- Hugh McMaster <dasjournal@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> After doing some analysis of this issue, I have determined the
>> problem
>> to most likely be Agnitum Outpost Firewall.  I am not disputing
>> your
>> findings (Mikkel, anyone else), but all of the evidence that I
>> have
>> learned point to this.  In fact, I installed the trial version
>> 4.0 of
>> Outpost Firewall and the problem starts. Once I had uninstalled
>> the
>> software, the problem disappears.  According to the Agnitum
>> Forums,
>> the developers are working on a solution to the problem.
>>
>> A workaround is to uninstall version 4 of the firewall, and
>> install
>> version 3.51.  This will provide firewall protection for the
>> computer,
>> while allowing the use of Cygwin as well.
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>>
>> Hugh
>>
> Thanks! It was indeed Outpost 4 causing it. Even stopping Outpost
> didn't fix the problem. Booting to safe mode with networking,
> making sure no Outcrap processes was running didn't fix it
> either.
> It must be starting some hidden process or modifying system files
> or something like that. I'm not sure exactly what was causing it
> but removing Outpost fixed it.
> Thanks God I was only using the trial.

It messes with the network stack.  This happens at install time, not
run-time.  That means that you have to un-install it to see if it's
the culprit, as you found out.  This is a common theme for many
software firewall products.

Holliston, MA 01746