SSH: Cygwin->Linux is slow

DePriest, Jason R. jrdepriest@gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 03:33:00 GMT 2006

On 10/9/06, ppmoore <> wrote:

> Yes, I do.
>
> Thanks, I'll try it out.
>
> Paul
>

> Brett Serkez-2 wrote:
> >
> > <snip>
> >> that the time between typing a letter and viewing
> >> the response is of the order of 1-2 seconds.
> >
> > Are you running anit-virus software?  Do you have active virus
> > scanning turned on?  If so, try turning it off to see if it changes
> > this behavior.
> >
> > Brett
> >
> > --

I use cygwin ssh to connect to a Solaris 8 server and to a Debian
GNU/Linux Sarge workstation.

I also connect to an SSH, Inc Windows SSH server and to a couple
cygwin ssh servers.

I do not experience a noticeable slow-down for ssh terminal connections.

The Solaris system bogs down when running X apps to the degree that I
don't bother running X apps from it any more.  I think this is more of
a resource limitation on the Solaris system than on my cygwin system.

The Debian system is slower than I would like, but probably normal and
not as bad as the symptoms you describe.

My anti-virus software does not seem to contribute to any slowness.  I
am running McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.0i, patch 11.

-Jason