[ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: vim-7.0.122-1

Christopher Faylor cgf-no-personal-reply-please@cygwin.com
Thu Oct 12 12:10:00 GMT 2006

On Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 01:54:16PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>I think it is needed.  At least the base-files-mketc.sh postinstall
>script creates paths which point outside the Cygwin root, so it either
>needs to reference cygdrive paths, or use DOS paths.  Using cygdrives
>paths is preferable, IMHO.  Since the cygdrive path is not fixed, and
>can even differ between different users on the same machine, there must
>be a fixed method to reference these paths.

If we're pointing outside of the Cygwin root then we can either 1) use a
mount or (in the current scenario) 2) establish a standard way to access
the windows directory.  My mild objection is that we're talking about
modifying the Cygwin DLL to accommodate the Cygwin distribution.  A
standalone Cygwin program doesn't necessarily need to use /etc/hosts but,
if we are modifying cygwin1.dll to hard-wire a path, it will nonetheless
have to suffer the consequences of that decision.

>Personally I'd rather not further clutter the root directory, which is
>why /proc seems to me to be a better place to point to the cygdrive
>paths in a constant fashion.  But that is only a mild opposition.  I'd
>also go along with /cygdrive.

We're already cluttering the root one less than linux since modern linuxes
use /dev, /proc, and /sys.

Hmm.  /sys/drive/c  has a nice feel to it, although this is YA a case where
the existence of a filesystem under this directory is not linux-like.

cgf