1.5.21: file utils (ls, sed) do not read NTFS permissions on second NTFS IDE hard drive

Chris Doherty cpdohert@gmail.com
Sat Oct 14 05:39:00 GMT 2006

> What does getfacl say about the ACLs of these files and directories?

getfacl seems equally confused:

chrisd@lucifer /cygdrive/d/shareaza/lib/books/fiction/deryni
$ for i in *.*;do getfacl $i;done
# file: Camber_01_-_Camber_of_Culdi.txt
# owner: ????????
# group: ????????
user::---
user:chrisd:rwx
group::---
group:SYSTEM:rwx
group:Administrators:rwx
mask:rwx
other:---
# file: Camber_02_-_Saint_Camber.txt
# owner: ????????
# group: ????????
user::---
user:chrisd:rwx
group::---
group:SYSTEM:rwx
group:Administrators:rwx
mask:rwx
other:---
# file: Camber_03_-_Camber_the_Heretic.txt
# owner: ????????
# group: ????????
user::---
user:chrisd:rwx
group::---
group:SYSTEM:rwx
group:Administrators:rwx
mask:rwx
other:---
# file: Deryni_01_-_Deryni_Rising.txt
# owner: ????????
# group: ????????
user::---
user:chrisd:rwx
group::---
group:SYSTEM:rwx
group:Administrators:rwx
mask:rwx
other:---
# file: Deryni_02_-_Deryni_Checkmate.txt
# owner: ????????
# group: ????????
user::---
user:chrisd:rwx
group::---
group:SYSTEM:rwx
group:Administrators:rwx
mask:rwx
other:---
# file: Deryni_03_-_High_Deryni.txt
# owner: ????????
# group: ????????
user::---
user:chrisd:rwx
group::---
group:SYSTEM:rwx
group:Administrators:rwx
mask:rwx
other:---
# file: Heretic_01_-_Harrowing_of_Gwynedd.txt
# owner: ????????
# group: ????????
user::---
user:chrisd:rwx
group::---
group:SYSTEM:rwx
group:Administrators:rwx
mask:rwx
other:---
# file: Heretic_02_-_King_Javan_s_Year.txt
# owner: ????????
# group: ????????
user::---
user:chrisd:rwx
group::---
group:SYSTEM:rwx
group:Administrators:rwx
mask:rwx
other:---
# file: Heretic_03_-_Bastard_Prince.txt
# owner: ????????
# group: ????????
user::---
user:chrisd:rwx
group::---
group:SYSTEM:rwx
group:Administrators:rwx
mask:rwx
other:---
# file: Kelson_01_-_The_Bishops_Heir.txt
# owner: ????????
# group: ????????
user::---
user:chrisd:rwx
group::---
group:SYSTEM:rwx
group:Administrators:rwx
mask:rwx
other:---
# file: Kelson_02_-_King_s_Justice.txt
# owner: ????????
# group: ????????
user::---
user:chrisd:rwx
group::---
group:SYSTEM:rwx
group:Administrators:rwx
mask:rwx
other:---
# file: Kelson_03_-_Quest_for_St_Camber.txt
# owner: ????????
# group: ????????
user::---
user:chrisd:rwx
group::---
group:SYSTEM:rwx
group:Administrators:rwx
mask:rwx
other:---
# file: dr.txt
# owner: chrisd
# group: Administrators
user::---
group::---
mask:rwx
other:---

(Similar results for various other directories and files on D: showing
the same behaviour)

The only thing I can think of is that the D: drive was originally
formatted and mounted on a different install of WinXP SP2, but when I
brought it over to this machine I removed all the existing ACLs and
replaced them with ACLs using groups and users local to the current
install.  I'm thinking of backing up the drive and reformatting it
under this install to see if that does it.

--
Chris Doherty  --  cpdohert at gmail dot com
"In our time, it has generally been thought bad and unhealthy to