wxwidgets configure script won't run, syntax errors

Tue Oct 17 20:22:00 GMT 2006

Koen Martens wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm new to cygwin, so my problem below is probably quite simple to
> solve. I have installed cygwin recently, downloaded from one of the
> mirrors. The version reported by uname -a is NT-5.1.
>
> I also got the latest wxwidgets from www.wxwidgets.org
> (wxMSW-2.6.3), however I don't think my problem is at all related to
> wxwidgets.
>
> The problem is, the gnu configure script included with wxwidgets
> won't run, giving a syntax error:
>
> bash-3.1$ ./configure
> : command not found4:
> ./configure: line 22: syntax error near unexpected token `elif'
> ./configure: line 22: `elif test -n "${BASH_VERSION+set}" && (set -o
> posix) >/de
> '/null 2>&1; then
> bash-3.1$
>
> Now, afaik 'elif' is valid syntax for sh/bash.. In fact, any gnu
> configure script has this syntax.
>
> My guess is that there is some basic thing I missed in setting up
> the cygwin environment, and I'm hoping someone on the list knows.
>
> I've searched the mailing list archive, to no avail. Also, google is
> not my friend in this case.
>
> Sorry for wasting time!

You have CRNL as line endings in your files (bad) and you apparently have put
them on a binary mount (good).  In short, you'd see this same problem on
Linux with the files in question (or using the tools that you did to unpack
the files).  I recommend running all the files through 'd2u'.  You'll have
better luck then.

Holliston, MA 01746