bug bash-3.1.17(9) : CR problems when using cat to generate cmd line arguments

Howard Mak hmak@vaultus.com
Mon Oct 23 16:36:00 GMT 2006

I can't seem to get the latest version of bash to work with the command
	PROGRAM `cat file_containing_arguments.txt`
when the file is created on a textmode mount.  Seems like carriage returns are not processed correctly.

I've attached a test script illustrating the problem.

Comments:

-	The problem does not seem to appear in older version of bash (ver 3.1.17(6))

-	I tried using different settings for the shell option igncr, but it didn't seem to help

Thanks in advance for any help.

- Howard