device drivers - general info

Gary R. Van Sickle g.r.vansickle@worldnet.att.net
Thu Oct 26 02:50:00 GMT 2006

If the C++ library is not provided in source-code form, you're pretty much
out of luck, due to name-mangling differences and other issues.  If they're
giving you a C++ source library that ultimately communicates with the
kernel-level driver via normal Win32 filehandles and/or IOCTLs, I would say,
"if you've followed me so far, in general this kind of thing can be made to
work, but be prepared to roll up your sleeves, because odds are that the
code was written for Visual Studio."

>  Is there a general rule for how Cygwin interacts with
> windows hardware drivers?

The Cygwin DLL is Win32 application-level code, so Cygwin apps don't
interact any differently with drivers than "normal" Win32 apps.

>  is there a web-page that will
> explain driver issues within Cygwin (googling the cygwin site
> has been unfruitful so far)?

I'm sure there is no such animal, since again there's nothing special with
Cygwin when it comes to drivers.

--
Gary R. Van Sickle