How to go through a company proxy with ssh ?

Teggy P Veerapen tve.ml@online.fr
Thu Oct 26 17:48:00 GMT 2006

Hi,

Thanks guys for all these informations ... In fact, I have tried both solutions
connect and corkscrew but I haven't been able to connect through the proxy with
neither utility. I am getting a forbidden message and if I turn debug option on
when using connect, I get something like that:

---8<---------------
DEBUG: begin_http_relay()
DEBUG: >>> "CONNECT 82.231.204.246:80 HTTP/1.0rn"
DEBUG: >>> "rn"
DEBUG: <<< "HTTP/1.0 403 Forbiddenrn"
DEBUG: http proxy is not allowed.
FATAL: failed to begin relaying via HTTP.
---8<---------------

I would presume that the proxy is somehow checking that http requests are going
through and all it's seeing is ssh requests. Does that seem plausible to you
that the proxy is indeed checking the request ?

Or am I making a mistake when using the utility (configuration seems fairly
simple and straightforward to me) ?

Here is what I have in $HOME/.ssh/config
---8<---------------
host a.b.c.d
    port 80
    identityfile /cygdrive/c/teggy/dev/privkey.txt
#   ProxyCommand corkscrew genproxy 8080 %h %p
    ProxyCommand connect -d -H genproxy:8080 %h %p

and I am running the following command:
$ ssh a.b.c.d

If you have any other solution, I'll be glab to hear about it. Otherwise I'm
thinking about using http tunnel ... Any recommendation ?

ps: Apologies if this message is not attached the thread; but I couldn't make a
reply to previous posts since I was not subscribed to the mailing list.

Cheers,

Teggy