latest iconv hangs

Mike Maxwell maxwell@umiacs.umd.edu
Sun Oct 29 10:55:00 GMT 2006

Matt Wozniski wrote:
> That message tells you exactly what it means.

I won't get into the linguistics of it, but I think "reboot" is a little
more ambiguous than that.  It would be nice if it said "reboot Windows",
and such a change would be trivial to make.  I thought of re-starting
CygWin as _rebooting_ CygWin, since once I exit CygWin, I would not have
thought that anything belonging to it--in particular, any DLLs--would
still be in memory; and it goes through all my startup files, too.
Obviously I'm wrong, but I'll bet I'm not the only person who ever
thought this.

And while it used to be quite common for updates to applications to tell
you you had to restart Windows, I don't recall any other programs
running under Windows XP, with the exception of some that affect Windows
itself (like Internet Explorer), and anti-virus programs, that require
you to reboot Windows XP.  I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it's
less common these days.  Which is another reason I didn't expect to have
to reboot Windows for a CygWin update.

(When Windows needs to restart because of an update to itself, the
messsage is "restart Windows"  and it offers to do so then and there.)
--
	Mike Maxwell
	maxwell@umiacs.umd.edu