Color Schemes

mwoehlke mwoehlke@tibco.com
Fri Sep 1 14:43:00 GMT 2006

George wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 31, 2006 at 12:59:09PM -0500, mwoehlke wrote:
>>> George wrote:
>>> $ grep color ~/.Xdefaults
>>> [...]
>>> Or am I missing something?
>> Sure. Now do it for Konsole (hint: DCOP *might* let you), CUI, Console,
>> rxvt, PuTTY, and every other terminal emulator in existence.
>
> I guess I don't understand why one would expect that to be possible, or
> desirable.

Exactly. I don't expect it to be possible, nor do I see a purpose for
it. Which is why I wondered why you went digging for how to do it with
xterm. :-) So I guess we are in violent agreement?

>> What you found is the *default* colors for *one* emulator (what happens
>> if you override them with command-line switches?).
>
> No, those are my colors (the default colors are very different) and are
> used by any emulator that makes uses of .Xdefaults, which includes rxvt
> and standard xterms.  Command-line switches for both are mostly in a
> one-to-one correspondence with the directives in .Xdefaults.

"Defaults" as in "unless command-line args are used to override them". I
did notice that they looked decidedly 'non-standard'. :-)

>> Dave and I were talking about being able to query the terminal
>> emulator in a standardized way, and I am pretty sure there is no such
>> way.
>
> Sorry for the noise.

Eh, don't worry about it. Now I know where to tinker with rxvt's
"default" settings. :-) Never know who might get something out of this...

--
Matthew
Do not expose to hippos. Doing so may void your warranty.