nfs in client mode (winxp => linux)

mwoehlke mwoehlke@tibco.com
Fri Sep 1 14:50:00 GMT 2006

reader@newsguy.com wrote:
> I see lots of past messages here about setting up NFS in server mode,
> but very little in the other direction.
>
> Going far enough back there was quite a long thread about SFU
> (Services for unix) but I haven't been able to get that NFS client to
> work.  In fact I can't even really do anything with ksh shell it
> provides.  Every command gets a tty error.
>
> So has anything changed since the release of SFU 3.5?  That has been a
> good while.  Is there still no cygwin NFS client for windows?

I use both SFU (3.5, pre-2003R2) and SUA (5.2, Win2003R2 and later) NFS
clients without too much trouble (nothing that doesn't seem to be
general sharing problems, anyway; mostly it works about as well as
anything over ssh - i.e. poorly). The trick is getting user name mapping
set up correctly. You might want to ask on the Interix forums
(http://www.interopsystems.com/tools/default.aspx) if things aren't working.

Unfortunately there is no NFS client (not that I've ever heard of,
anyway) that plays nicely with Cygwin (true symlink and permissions
support, for example).

--
Matthew
Do not expose to hippos. Doing so may void your warranty.