Subversion can't move ./.svn/tmp/entries

Pete Gontier pete@m-audio.com
Tue Sep 5 22:09:00 GMT 2006

When attempting to use Subversion to obtain a fresh new copy of a particular
directory tree -- I mention this to make it clear none of the files or
directories I want yet exist on my local disk -- I get an error described
pretty well here:

    http://svn.haxx.se/users/archive-2005-08/1408.shtml

In short, in the middle of a long series of inbound transfers, the 'svn
update' command complains to the effect of:

    Can't move '/cygdrive/c/xxxx/trunk/oracle/packages/.svn/tmp/entries'
    to '/cygdrive/c/xxxx/trunk/oracle/packages/.svn/entries':
    Permission denied

This is perplexing given that Subversion itself creates the entries file,
and furthermore it's a freshly created copy, so it's not like I've had a
chance to screw up its permissions yet. (Give me time.)

The web page I linked mentions the possibility of conflicts with file system
indexing or anti-virus software, but I haven't got any of that installed.

Brane's analysis at the bottom of the web page in question seems worth
pondering for brains more qualified than mine.

Any ideas?

                                    ‹ Pete Gontier <http://www.m-audio.com/>