setup.exe -> BSOD

Mon Sep 11 13:17:00 GMT 2006

John Smith wrote:
> Having successfully installed Cygwin on my desktop machine (XP Home,
> SP2, fully patched), I wanted to install it on my laptop (XP Pro, SP2,
> fully patched). I downloaded the current setup.exe and ran it,
> accepting the default values till I came to the "choice of mirror"
> screen. I chose my mirror, and clicked on "Next". The machine showed
> me a split-second Blue Screen of Death, then rebooted. Three repeated
> attempts brought exactly the same result.
>
> I fully realise that I am not providing enough information for anyone
> to solve my problem, but I do not know what else might be useful. I am
> happy to supply whatever info might help. For now, I am definitively
> stuck.

BSOD situations point to a problem with the O/S kernel, not the app that
may be running at the time they occur.  Problematic drivers are the most
common causes here.  I'd recommend un-installing any recent additions made
in this area and see if it helps.  On the flip side, if you'd like to get
a better look at the BSOD, you can turn off the automatic reboot using
the "System" applet in your control panel.

Holliston, MA 01746