Potential bug in sshd

Michael Sowka msowka@gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 15:40:00 GMT 2006

Hello,

... just when I thought I was nicely settled with WinXP and Cygwin
(being obligated to use Windows, cygwin makes the experience more
bearable ;) )...

I don't consider myself a newbie, but we'll soon find out. I've
installed cygwin on a number of computers I frequently 'ssh'/'scp'
to/from. The setup is straight forward (time saving guide here:
http://pigtail.net/LRP/printsrv/cygwin-sshd.html). Other than the time
when I tried to change user groups manually and had to revert back to
get sshd working again, things have been running smooth.

Until, today my work desktop decided to spontaneously stop serving me ssh.

Symptoms on the client side (putty from/to localhost, eliminating
network problems) vary:
- "Server unexpectedly closed network connection"
- or simply times out

When I 'net stop sshd' it stops "successfully" but then starting again
fails. On inspecting Task Manager I find that sshd is still running
:|. Ending the process, starting sshd service again has no effect.

I have gone as far as cleaning out cygwin from my system, completely
following the guide in the FAQ, and reinstalling to no effect. This
makes me think that there must be some glitch/registry setting/new
software I installed that's triggering some fault in cygwin/sshd.

I have the latest cygwin, but here are the obligatory version numbers:
cygwin : 1.5.21-2
openssh 4.3p2-3

Please tell me where to pull logs / debugging output from and I will
send them your way.

Thanks,
Mike