bash-3.1-7 BUG

David Rothenberger daveroth@acm.org
Wed Sep 13 23:58:00 GMT 2006

On 9/13/2006 4:46 PM, Volker Quetschke wrote:
> mwoehlke wrote:
>> Eric Blake wrote:
>>> mwoehlke <mwoehlke <at> tibco.com> writes:
> (snip)
>>> ... If the file starts life binary mode (ie. was on a binary
>>> mount), skip the check for \r in the scan (under the assumption that
>>> on a binary mount, \r is intentional and not a line ending to be
>>> collapsed), and use lseeks.
>> Sounds good! That will satisfy my request to not silently work on files
>> that should be broken. :-)
>
> I'm seeing the next "make doesn't work anymore with DOS ... feature" coming
> up here, only that it is bash this time. (snip)
>
> ... It is definitely in the eye of the beholder if one calls shell
> scripts that worked so far as broken just because they have /r/n line
> endings.

I strongly agree with this. The users I support would be much happier if
bash could continue to work correctly with \r\n in scripts on binary
mounts.

It sounds like bash will have to scan the first line regardless of the
mount type (to check for a binary file), so perhaps the decision to
treat \r as intentional or not could be an option?

--
David Rothenberger                spammer? -> spam@daveroth.dyndns.org
GPG/PGP: 0x92D68FD8, DB7C 5146 1AB0 483A 9D27 DFBA FBB9 E328 92D6 8FD8

   If Roosevelt were alive, he'd turn over in his grave. -Samuel
   Goldwyn