bash-3.1-7 BUG

Thu Sep 14 00:30:00 GMT 2006

David Rothenberger wrote:
> On 9/13/2006 4:46 PM, Volker Quetschke wrote:
>> mwoehlke wrote:
>> (snip)
>>> Sounds good! That will satisfy my request to not silently work on files
>>> that should be broken. :-)
>>
>> I'm seeing the next "make doesn't work anymore with DOS ... feature"
>> coming
>> up here, only that it is bash this time. (snip)
>>
>> ... It is definitely in the eye of the beholder if one calls shell
>> scripts that worked so far as broken just because they have /r/n line
>> endings.
>
> I strongly agree with this. The users I support would be much happier if
> bash could continue to work correctly with \r\n in scripts on binary
> mounts.
>
> It sounds like bash will have to scan the first line regardless of the
> mount type (to check for a binary file), so perhaps the decision to
> treat \r as intentional or not could be an option?

I think this is getting a little off-track.  Another option just means another
area for people who don't understand what's going on to trip and fall and then
come and bug the list as a result.  IMO, there's already such an option, even
without changing bash.  It's called 'd2u'.  Let's not over-think and over-do
things here.  There's pain involved in that too.  I'm not convinced that it's
worth the pain to all for the benefit of a few.  Of course, I firmly believe
that what can and will be done here is Eric's call.  He's the one that will be
maintaining it.

Holliston, MA 01746