Mount does not show Samba files

Arun Biyani abiyani@unix.telasic.com
Thu Sep 14 18:52:00 GMT 2006

Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
> Arun Biyani wrote:
>> Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
>>> See your cygcheck output:
>> I have a crontab task which generates a cygcheck.log file every
>> night. I've just realized that
>> the cygcheck output of the cron task is quite different from when I
>> run cygcheck as a user.
>> I apologize for this. I've attached a cygcheck.log that I just
>> generated.
>

> It would seem that your cron job is not actually generating this file
> regularly.  The one you sent previously clearly said that you had
> 1.5.19-4
> of the cygwin package installed.  You cannot have two versions installed.
> So I presume that the cron entry to automatically generate this file
> hasn't
> run since before you upgraded.  Since you would have had to stop the cron
> (and any other service) to upgrade (without reboot at least), I can see
> the possibility of you doing this and not restarting it again.  But
> that's
> just speculation.
>

>>> CYGWIN = 'nontsec'
>> I only see this for the cron task. I start cron by typing "cygrunsrv
>> --start cron". Perhaps its
>> generated by cygrunsrv.
>

> No.  You apparently ran '/bin/cron-config' and answered "no" to the
> question:
>
>   Do you want the daemon to run with ntsec? (yes/no)
>

>>> This must be set in your environment somewhere.  Possibly this is
>>> introduced
>>> by Altera tools Dave mentioned (thanks Dave).  If you don't know why
>>> it's set,
>>> find it and remove it.  Alternatively, if you cannot find it for some
>>> reason, at least unset it in your cygwin.bat file (assuming you
>>> start Cygwin
>>> that way).  This is a cheap hack though.  You're better off removing
>>> the
>>> setting for real.
>> [tmp$:554] echo $CYGWIN       bash: CYGWIN: unbound variable
>> [tmp$:555] set | grep CYGWIN
>> [tmp$:556] cygcheck -srv | grep CYGWIN
>> Environment         : CYGWIN="nontsec"                     ---- cron
>> settings
>> Environment         : CYGWIN="ntsec notraverse"        ---- exim
>> settings
>> Display name        : CYGWIN syslogd
>> [tmp$:557]
>>

>>> Your cygcheck says you have cygwin package version 1.5.19-4.  The
>>> current
>>> version is 1.5.21-2.
>> 1831k 2006/07/30 C:\win\cygwin\bin\cygwin1.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
>>                  "cygwin1.dll" v0.0 ts=2006/7/30 10:21
>>    Cygwin DLL version info:
>>        DLL version: 1.5.21
>>        DLL epoch: 19
>>
>> The dll seems to be correct version.
>

> Yes, I'd agree.
>

>>> I think you're getting a conflicts between Altera and Cygwin.
>>> Removing Altera
>>> is likely not the solution to the problem you see but it will avoid
> [...]
Hi Larry,

Thx for your help. I opened a dos command window. Typed "dir Y:" and saw
files and directories
that I expected to see from my home directory on Linux. Then (transcript
below) I tried Cygwin.
Still does not seem to work. This is after creating a new passwd & group
file and ensuring that
the user name is correct. I've split $PATH for readability.

Arun

[tmp$:509] whoami
abiyani
[tmp$:510] mount Y: /mnt/y
mount: defaulting to '--no-executable' flag for speed since native path
       references a remote share.  Use '-f' option to override.
[tmp$:511] df
C:\win\cygwin\bin      75G   44G   31G  59% /usr/bin
C:\win\cygwin\lib      75G   44G   31G  59% /usr/lib
C:\win\cygwin          75G   44G   31G  59% /
Y:                     31G   26G  5.3G  83% /mnt/y
c:                     75G   44G   31G  59% /c
i:                    592G  574G   18G  98% /i
s:                     38G  7.1G   31G  19% /s
[tmp$:512] ls /mnt/y
ls: /mnt/y: No such file or directory
[tmp$:513] echo $PATH
~/wrk/sys/bin:~/wrk/pre-bin:~/bin:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/ucb:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/X11R6/bin:
~/wrk/bin:/c/WINDOWS/system32:/c/WINDOWS:/c/WINDOWS/System32/Wbem:
/c/win/mingw/bin:/c/win/msys/bin
[tmp$:514]