Cygwin filesystem

Francis Rossi francisrossi@yandex.ru
Mon Sep 18 11:45:00 GMT 2006

Hello,

I wonder whether there are plans about creating a special filesystem for Cygwin. I think it would be a very useful thing, for practical reasons. The problem with the folder Cygwin is installed to is that when you're looking for some files on your hard disk, that directory takes a lot of time in the search because of dozens of thousands files, especially in /usr. Another issue is deleting the Cygwin installation, it can take hours, for the same reason. I think it could be resloved by creating a separate partition for /usr and placing it into a separate file with virtual filesystem like on VMWare or Bochs. When Cygwin is started this partition would be mounted like Windows disks and deleting it would last as long as one click.

Andrei