rsync 2.6.6.1 changed ACL behaviour?

Mon Sep 18 14:06:00 GMT 2006

Mattias wrote:
> Using rsync to update my web site on a Windows 2003 Server using the
> following command
>
> rsync --archive --stats /cygdrive/c/data/publish/ -e ssh
> ntuser@www.domain.com:/cygdrive/c/Inetpub/ssc2
>
> Worked fine for a year.

Great!

> Stopped working recently. rsync doesn't set the ACL correctly. rsync
> sets the rights of the Users user to nothing at all, which makes the
> web site not work at all. (I have switched my laptop since it last
> worked and reinstalled cygwin.)

So what changed?

> After running rsync, I have to go to the server, opening the security
> dialog for the directory, pressing advanced, selecting
>
> "Replace permission entries on all child objects with enties shown
> here that apply child objects"
>
> These are the default permissions, so why doesn't rsync use them.
> Which permissions do rsync use?

Depends on your configuration.  See the User's Guide
<http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html> for more details on
permissions.  If you have a follow-up question, please read and
follow the problem reporting guidelines found here:

<http://cygwin.com/problems.html>

> -- Mattias
>
> P.s. Is there a simple way in cygwin setup.exe to just revert to an
> older version of a single package, in my case rsync 2.6.3?

The trivial case is to rerun "setup.exe" and just install the previous
version.  If there are dependencies, this could be a more complex problem.
You may need to downgrade practically everything to make this work out. :-(
But I'd start with the easy option and proceed from there. ;-)

Holliston, MA 01746