tr command suddenly behaves differently

Logu logsnaath@gmx.net
Sat Sep 23 10:47:00 GMT 2006

Hi,

I an using cygwin (CYGWIN_NT-5.1 LOGU-CO 1.5.11(0.116/4/2) 2004-09-04 23:17
i686 unknown unknown Cygwin) on Windows Xp Professional Edition.
All of a sudden the tr (/usr/bin/tr) command started working differently. So
when I login through ssh I get an error message as follows while logging in.
-------------------
Using username "logu".
Authenticating with public key "rsa-key-logu2048"
Last login: Sat Sep 23 11:41:24 2006 from logu-co
Fanfare!!!
You are successfully logged in to this server!!!
/usr/bin/tr: misaligned [:upper:] and/or [:lower:] construct
$
------------------
After analysing I found that the tr command did not work correctly. So the
command
$ /usr/bin/tr [:upper:] [:lower:]
when executed gives an error message as
/usr/bin/tr: misaligned [:upper:] and/or [:lower:] construct

But all other options works correctly. The same version of cygwin (and  tr)
on another machine works correctly. I have checked the md5sum of the
binaries and they are all same.  So I think some of the environment or the
dynamic libraries could have been changed. The only task that was performed
on the system before and after the correct working was that the Norton
Antivirus scanning. And NAV did not report any bad files.

I thought of compiling new version of tr from source with debug symbols and
debugging it with gdb.
It will be great help if someone on this list helps to resolve the issue.

Thanks
-logu